It is estimated that nearly two million people own buy-to-let property across the UK (Resolution Foundation 2019), with property being regarded as a ‘safe-haven’ asset. At 4.9%, the gross yield on residential property across South East England is attractive.
Worthing is currently the top performer in the Southern Home Counties, offering a gross yield of 5.1%.
Average gross yields on residential property are attractive, with positive rental and house price growth
Strongest housing markets across the Southern Home Counties
Property prices across South East England were 2.1% higher year-on-year as the housing market reopened in June. Waverley is currently the strongest performer in the area. Activity across the market has been brisk; nationally the average time taken to sell a property fell to 53 days in August, down from 62 days in August 2019. Sensible pricing remains crucial, as correctly priced properties are nearly twice as likely to be sold ‘subject to contract’ within four months of listing than those that have had their asking price reduced. Homes in South East England are selling, on average, 12 days quicker than a year ago.
Properties for sale in the Southern Home Counties
Woking, Surrey, 3 bedrooms
‘Wold Cottage' is a stunning three-bedroom detached characterful home set on a lovely plot in a quiet and leafy lane. The property is presented in excellent order and offers further scope to extend, with planning already granted, if required.
Horsham, West Sussex, 3 bedrooms
This beautiful Victorian family home is situated on the Brighton Road in Horsham within walking distance from the historic town centre and the train station with main routes to London and the South Coast. This elegant home backs onto some of the best walking paths Horsham has to offer making this a perfect mix of Victorian town living with the stunning backdrop of the West Sussex Countryside.
East Preston, West Sussex, 5 bedrooms
Broomfield is a detached family home with versatile accommodation in the heart of East Preston Village. The property has five to six bedrooms and two to three reception rooms, in addition to a generous garden and plenty of parking for hosting guests.
Click to see the market reports in other regions:
● Market Report 2020 Autumn South West
● Market Report 2020 Autumn East Midlands
● Market Report 2020 Autumn Essex, Norfolk and Suffolk (East)
● Market Report 2020 Autumn Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire and Cambridgeshire (East)
● Market Report 2020 Autumn London
● Market Report 2020 Autumn North East and Yorkshire
● Market Report 2020 Autumn North West and North Wales
● Market Report 2020 Autumn Northern Ireland
● Market Report 2020 Autumn Scotland
● Market Report 2020 Autumn South East Home Counties - Kent and East Sussex
● Market Report 2020 Autumn Southern
● Market Report 2020 Autumn Thames Valley, Berkshire, Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire
● Market Report 2020 Autumn West and South Wales
● Market Report 2020 Autumn West Midlands and Wales
If you want independent guidance on moving home or are looking for the best agent in your area, find your local Guild Member today.